Pearl Mini HDMI Audio out to Atomos Shogun

Hi, I’m trying to send the HDMI output of our Pearl Minis to an Atomos Shogun. On a direct cable the Shogun sees the pictures but doesn’t receive the audio, plug the HDMI feed into another monitor and both video + audio are fine, put the HDMI signal through some additional bit of “dumb” conversion glue then into the Shogun and the Shogun receives everything fine… What am I missing or what’s different about the HDMI signal that the Shogun doesn’t like?

Is the HDMI output set to display a channel or an input? i.e. the source dropdown

If the output is being set to display a channel this could be related to the audio codec/format. There are different audio codec/format options on the encoding page of any given channel, you may need to experiment with a few different settings there to see which codec/format the Shogun likes.

Beyond that, there would be no other option to change the outgoing audio format unfortunately. The Pearl reads the EDID of the connected device and it’s possible it’s choosing a format that is incompatible with the Shogun, placing another device in-between would change the destination EDID and might explain why that works.

Hi Adam, thanks for the response. The output is sending a channel and I have been through every combination of audio format options on the encoding page - no dice, they all act the same. I also played with the frame rates and interestingly (or not) the Shogun consistently thinks it’s receiving 60fps no matter what frame rate is set in the encoding setting.

I haven’t tried passing an signal straight through HDMI in to HDMI out for instance so I’ll check that.

60FPS to the Shogun is expected, it’s actually 60hz which is a common output standard for HDMI, it’s technically not 60fps but 30fps refreshed at 2x.

It sure is, so the HDMI output refresh rate is independent of the encode frame rate setting - presumably there’s no way of changing that?

FYI I tried sending the HDMI input straight back out and the same lack of audio problem occurs with the Shogun. I’ve also spoken with a couple of friends who’ve used different Atomos recorders across the HDMI out of Pearls in the past and they all report the same issue. All solved by passing the signal through basically anything before it hits the Atomos.

The HDMI output reads the EDID of the connected device (Shogun) and chooses a video mode which best matches what the destination wants, including the refresh rate. There’s no way to change this behavior unfortunately.

Interesting information about the Atomos products, I can file this as a bug so our engineers can investigate.

Thanks Adam for your attention so far, it’s appreciated - please do let me know how the investigations go.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Rob! If you like you can send an email into info@epiphan.com and I can open a ticket on this issue to better give you updates.