Dropping to half framerate on encode

Hi there,

I am finding my nano is at times dropping to half frame rate on the encode.
Majority of the time its ok but it seems every 30 seconds or so it will drop down to half frame rate then back up again. Is this an issue with my unit or a known fault?

Here is an example (4K, H264, RTMP to youtube) Happens throughout the stream.

Hope you can help!

Thanks!

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Sorry to hear about this. There are a couple of things we can check that should point us in the right direction for this issue.

Firstly, it’s important to note here that the Nano cannot hit 60 FPS at 4K, the maximum is somewhere around 45fps or so but should be set to 30 max to have some overhead for processing.

Provided the FPS is not set too high, which firmware version is the Nano currently running and have you tried a factory reset?

Second, it would be good to check if a recording done on the Nano during the same time as the stream also exhibits the same issue. Since the streams and recordings are generated in the same pipeline on Nano if the encoding really did drop then it should be present in the recording as well.

Another thing to check when this happens (if you’re able) is the Info page of the Admin interface. This page displays the target FPS vs the actual FPS. If the encoding dropped frames for whatever reason you should be able to see this on that page:

Hope this helps, let us know!