Video flickering with multiple AV.io 4k devices

Hi There,

I am using 4 AV.io 4k devices on dell precision 7920rack pc, usb ports are extended using PCIe slot and the pc has ability to support 8 usb ports.
I am using avio 4k device to capture 30 fps from an automotive control unit output. i am observing flickering images after the frames are grabbed (at least 2 flickering frames every second).
When the devices are connected LED is fixed blue, when the grabbing starts blue LED blinks faster.
Kindly let me know, if you need more information.

How can i resolve the flickering issue? Please support on this issue.

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us and sorry to hear about this! There are a few things we can look at potentially here to try and determine what might be the issue. Initially I’m tempted to blame the fact that you’re using 4 AV.io 4K’s on a single system, as the AV.io delivers the video stream uncompressed, it uses a considerable amount of USB bandwidth and ideally there would a independent, high performance USB controller for each AV.io 4K connected to the system.

However this should be fairly easy to rule out/in, can you try with only one AV.io 4K connected to the system to see if the issue still manifests?

If it still manifests then we can investigate the signal source specifically. You mentioned it was an automotive control unit, automotive displays tend to use LVDS signals which the AV.io wouldn’t support in theory.

As before this should be fairly easy to rule out/in, could you try testing the AV.io with a more “standard” signal, i.e. from a laptop or gaming console etc. to make sure that the unit itself is not defective.

Finally, if all of the above still fails then the only thing remaining would most likely be the host computer itself, i.e. the Dell 7920. I think you probably know where I’m going with this but could you test with another host PC to rule that out/in?

I should also ask which software you are using for capturing and have you tried any others?

This should help to narrow down the cause of the issue, please feel free to also send an email into info@epiphan.com and we can open a support ticket if you didn’t feel like going through all the motions in this forum.

Best,
Adam

Hi Adam,

Happy New Year!

Appreciate your time for going in detail,
like i said i am using 4 AV.io 4k , the flickering is not all devices, issue is on 2 devices, issue is observed when i use these devices with independently with other devices plugged in without output, our target is to use 8 AV.io 4k devices on the same PC (sorry for that but we have no choice, any suggestion would be highly helpful for us).
We have 2 PCI Express USB3.0 cards with 4 USB slots on each card and right now i have plugged in 2 devices on each card.

Hello, happy new year to you too!

So to start, lets not worry about using multiple AVio at a time, first we need to determine what is actually causing this flickering issue, then we can build back up to using multiple AVio’s.

Based on your response it sounds like only 2 of the 4 AVio devices are showing this flickering issue?

If so, then we need to try and answer the following:

Does the flickering occur when only one of the AVio’s is connected to the system?
Is this flickering occurring with a specific source, or all sources tried (best to try with different types of sources as well as the desired source, such as a standard laptop etc.)
Does the flickering occur when using a specific capture software or is it all capture software tried?
Does the flickering occur with all USB ports on the host computer?
Does the flickering occur with a different host computer?

The answer to these questions will help us pinpoint the exact cause of this issue, then we can look at building the desired configuration.

Hello Adam,

Sorry for reaching out to you with a delay,

I did try out best to figure out what’s happening but couldn’t succeed.
The fact that 2 out of grabbers were reporting flickering images doesn’t hold good anymore.

I have tested individual grabber(4K) that i have one by one, everyone’s output is flickering but if i use all 4 together then the flickering is more.

I have tried it on another setup and it is the same there as well.
The problem is, we are in an environment where we have similar setups but a difference PC and configurations, however at every setup we have Automotive control units as a source of signal to the frame grabber.

The interesting fact is i borrowed 1 AV.io HD+ from my colleague and used it on my setup for 24 hrs continuous image grabbing and it did work well without flickering at all. Is there a possibility to downgrade 4k device we have to HD+?

We are using an algorithm with CAMERA app available on windows to capture images at 30fps.

At this point, we are clueless and want to make this work without flickering images on the output side.
Like i said we bought 8 AV.io 4K devices to be used on 1 PC and we are struggling to make it work for 4 devices and even 1.

Hello Adam,

Looking forward to your response.

Hi Rakesh,

Sincerest apologies for missing your previous response. I’m tempted to blame the automotive control units as the source because generally those sources are LVDS/Spread Spectrum and not supported by our grabbers, however the fact that the AVio HD+ works is odd because as far as I know that shouldn’t support the automotive signal either.

We should get a ticket opened on this so it can be properly investigated and we can look into options for potentially replacing these unit’s with HD+ if need be.

Please send an email into info@epiphan.com with the URL of this page or any information that will tell me it’s you and then I’ll have your email and the ticket will be automatically generated and I can get this escalated.

Talk soon,
Adam

Hello Adam,

No worries, i sent an email to info@epiphan.com

Thanks,
Rakesh.