Unable to playback an mp4 file from Pearl Mini

I have recorded a video file on a freshly formatted SD card in my Pearl Mini but cannot playback it’s content.
I tried reading it directly form my network accessing the SD card and after donwloading the card an external drive.
The file is shown as an .mp4 (H264/MPEG-4 AVC)
Is there a specific codec to acquire in order to read these files ?

Thanks

Hello,

How exactly did you access the file? They are not meant to be taken directly off the SD card as they are in a Linux file format.

The codec is H264 and so that would require either the codec to be installed on the player system, or use a player like VLC which has codecs built in.

Hi Adam, thanks for your reply I used the Admin web tool to access the recordings menu. I used the available button to download the file onto my server and then tried to open with VLC & Premiere. Both failed to let me playback the file.

Does every recording you do on the Pearl fail to play, or is it just isolated to a single recording? If it’s just a single recording we may be able to chalk it up to a one-time error, MP4 files can become corrupted if recording becomes interrupted, i.e. due to a power blip or something similar, but if this is occurring with multiple recordings then we would need to open a support ticket and troubleshoot this through email.

You can send an email into info@epiphan.com to open a ticket.

Hi Adam, this is the first recording I did using this unit… Yesterday, I found out that I was able to play this on a Samsung Phone, just imported the file and hit play and it work. But no chance on VLC or others.
Br

Without ruling it out, it’s possible you could have a defective or incorrect SD card type for your Pearl. The type and speed of the SD Card is critical for recording functionality.

While it’s not common, we do occasionally see cases where a different card type is being used, which causes a file corruption. This is because some cards do not support the needed consistent write-speeds for video recording at higher bitrates.

I would recommend ensuring that your current SD card meets the minimum Class 10/U3 card specification, as they can support the consistent write-speeds needed for single and dual channel recordings on Pearl

Hi, thanks for your support. The SD card I am using is a SanDisk Extreme Pro 256 GB, 170 MB/s Class 10/U3. As mentioned in the beginning of this thread, it was formatted prior this recording.
What is weird is that this file can be played back on a Smasung smartphone. I did download it on my Iphone 11 but here as well, impossible to playback the file…

Thank you for clarifying!

We’re certainly happy to take a look and further troubleshoot the issue. If you have not already sent us an email to info@epiphan.com please reach out to us there! If you can send us the file or a link to a sample of the file we’d love to better understand the behavior.

As well, please navigate to the maintenance page and save a configuration preset without System or Network settings checked and include that preset in the email. It would be helpful for us to better understand how you have configured your Pearl Mini

Thanks for your feedback, I just sent a mail to info@ with the config preset parameters.