Ubuntu 16.04.5 (32 bit) vga2usb driver install - error during dpkg (BUILD EXCLUSIVE)

I am trying to install vga2usb-3.30.2.10-ubuntu-4.4.0-43-generic-i686.deb driver on a 32-bit Ubuntu 16.04.5 fresh install (have only updated to current and installed dkms prior to attempting to install the vga2usb driver.)

I receive the following error message:

“The dkms.conf for this module includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which does not match this kernel/arch. This indicates that it should not be built.”

My 16.04 installation has Kernel 4.15. The BUILD_EXCLUSIVE condition in the dkms.conf file in the driver specifies Kernel 4.4. Although my 16.04.5 installation was updated after fresh install, all of the prior kernel options are 4.15, none are 4.4. I tried modifying the BUILD_EXCLUSIVE statement in dkms.conf, however, when I retry dpkg -i command to install the driver, it overwrites the changes (with what was in the .deb file) so this did not work.

How should I proceed?

Thank you!

Hello,

Would it be possible for you to use a 64bit version instead? We have Ubuntu 16.04 with kernel 4.15 64bit drivers here: http://updates.epiphan.com/downloads/Drivers/Ubuntu/1604-usb-x86_64/vga2usb-3.30.6.6-ubuntu-4.15.0-32-generic-x86_64-42105-1802.deb

If you must use a 32bit install then please email info@epiphan.com and we will file a driver request with the development team.

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the helpful reply - I much appreciate the excellent support from Epiphan(!)

I came to understand that there are five different Kernel versions among six different Ubuntu 16.04 variants. Fortunately, the kernel number is included in the Epiphan driver file name, and once I worked this out, I realized 16.04.5 was not supported but 16.04 and 16.04.1 are (and I perhaps 16.04.2 would be supported using your driver for Ubuntu 16.10.

SUGGESTION 1: As this (requirement for DKMS and presence of dkms.conf creating BUILD_EXCLUSIVE dependency) could create some customer confusion, it might be helpful to adjust the web page:

https://ssl.epiphan.com/downloads/linux/

so that the third selector column “Release” is explicit on the version/kernel combinations that are supported (i.e., show 16.04-4.4, 16.04.1-4.4, and so on) as my confusion arose from the generic “16.04” selector and I thought at the time I’d just choose the latest-and-greatest among the 16.04 options.

SUGGESTION 2: Helpful if the same page notes clearly that DKMS is required (if that is indeed a requirement - it seems to me experimentally that is the case) prior to installation of the driver.

I am constrained to 32-bit (due to another compatibility issue unrelated to Epiphan product).

SUGGESTION 3: I would normally wish to use Ubuntu 18.04.1 (32-bit in my case, which is installable as 32-bit although not via ISO from Ubuntu), and hence if I were to make a development group suggestion, it would be to publish drivers for 32- and 64-bit Ubuntu 18.04.1 (kernel V4.15) which is used also in 16.04.5. As 18.04 is long term support (LTS) it is likely some others have already gone looking for 18.04 drivers but haven’t found that version in the release column.

I have since completed my installation by choosing 16.04.1 32-bit version (Kernel 4.4).

Thank you again!

Dave

Thanks, Adam - I replied in some more detail on the thread, as it turns out I have a couple of minor suggestions as to how to make the linux driver download page a little clearer for a beginner.

Much appreciate the help!

Dave