Scoreboard overlay

So did my first livestream on FB, worked great but figuring out the best way to do a scoreboard overlay for sports. Since the webcaster X2 doesn’t have that software feature built in I’m thinking a box/computer with a HDMI in and HDMI out in between the camera and the webcaster should work that has the necessary software to do the job. I’ve seen mention of vMix, Livestream Studio, etc but that would mean buying a computer dedicated to the video mixing and likely a desktop with a specialized video card as most laptops don’t have HDMI video input. Is there a simple black box with HDMI in and out that allows graphic overlays from a keyboard? Any ideas appreciated.

Hi Mark,

You may want to rethink the setup a bit if you want to add other sources. For example you could use our AV.io HD to capture the HDMI input signal from the camera into your computer via USB 3.0 then use streaming software like OBS to stream out to Facebook. Within OBS you can set other video sources for overlays.

Thanks Adam, I don’t have USB 3 on my laptop unfortunately. On the Webcaster X2 FB group someone suggested using a HDMI switch (multi-viewer) with PIP in between the camera and X2. The 2nd HDMI input could be a graphic from the laptop in a PIP window top left and that could be the scoreboard. Sounds feasible, some switches allow PIP adjustment for size, location and transparency which would be even better. Only hiccup could be the compatibility of the video coming out of the switch into the X2 but you would think they would support standard formats.

As long as the output of that HDMI switch is 720p or 1080p then it should certainly work with the Webcaster X2.

A cheap way to do this is with a clip-on telephoto lens made for cell phones. I clip a telephoto lens to my logitech c270 webcam. I tape the webcam to a small gorillapod, and tape the gorillapod to the wall. I use the smallest pip size, and put it in the upper right hand corner with a little transparency. Works fine for basketball in a small gym.

I was wondering which HDMI switch you were using that allows resizable PIP and transparency control?

I use the USB camera input on the Webcaster. You can adjust the image (size, position, transparency) in the settings of the Webcaster. No external switcher required.

Awesome, thanks for the tip

Any particular size that you use for the clip on telephoto lens?

From a distance of just over 40 feet I use an 8x clip-on telephoto lens, as shown in attached pic.

1 Like

I am streaming high school basketball games to YouTube. Is there no way to utilize the zoom feature on a usb webcam? I tried using a Logitech c920 to overlay the scoreboard but it’s too far away.

The zoom feature on a USB webcam would just be a digital zoom, and unfortunately this isn’t something supported by the Webcaster X2. The option above of using a clip on telephoto lens would be a good solution though.

Any suggestions on a USB Webcam and clip-on telephoto lens that has worked for people?

I have a Logitech c920 but the clip of the lens I bought wont fit over the webcam.

Your help is greatly appreciated!