Pearl Mini and Canon hf g50

Hello.I was wondering if anyone has experienced this situation. I’m using the Canon hf g50 and the pearl mini. Currently I’m having an issue with getting a picture using HDMI when the camera HDMI output is set to Progressive. It just shows in the Pearl Mini as “No Signal”. When I change the HDMI output to 1080i(forced) I have no issues. I get a good picture.

Could it be I need a special EDID or am I missing something in my Pearl setup.

Hi Mark,

It’s possible the EDID on the HDMI input was effectively blown away. We have seen this occur with some devices. Try disconnecting the HDMI source from the input on Pearl Mini, navigating to the HDMI input on Pearl Mini and clicking on the “Restore” EDID button. Once that is done, try reconnecting the source.

If the issue persists, try a different HDMI source connected to Pearl Mini, like the output from a computer. If there is still “no signal,” try swapping to a different HDMI cable. it’s possible it could be the HDMI cable that is the issue.

If the source with the Laptop HDMI works without issue, then it would either be an issue with the HDMI port on the camera, or a setting on the camera itself. You can verify the HDMI port by connecting the HDMI to a television or monitor.

If you get a signal on the HDMI display, this will narrow down the issue to a settings related problem. If not image appears on a display then it’s possible your camera’s physical port may be broken.

Thanks for the replay Mathieu.

I just got back from doing a little testing. My steps.

1. Restored the EDID for HDMI-A and changed the Canon HF g50 to “Progressive” scan mode. No picture
  2. Tried the same thing on HDMI-B to rule out if it was a port issue on the Pearl. Same thing - No signal
  3. Changed the scan mode to 1080i and it worked.
  4. I then changed the scan mode on the Canon g50 to Progressive but to 720p and I got a picture.

So it seems that 1080p using the Canon g50 with the default EDID doesn’t give me a picture. Mark

Can you test the HDMI output from a computer into Pearl? If the signal can be seen at the expected 1920 X1080 resolution, then it will confirm that 1080P is correctly working on Pearl, but would suggest there is likely some sort of settings or output issue with the camera itself.

Hello Mathieu.

I managed a to little testing and here’s what I came up with. I hooked a Apple Macbook via a HDMI cable as you suggested and it played content from my screen fine @1920 X 1080p on the Pearl.

I also did the following. I kept the camera at 1080p 60fps and hooked it to our big screen. It showed fine but I noticed that the TV scaled it down to 30 fps. On the Pearl with the same settings it doesn’t get picked up BUT, it works fine at 1280 X 720p setting on the Pearl. For some reason the Pearl can’t process HDMI from the Canon gf50 @ 1080p 60fps.

Hmm the fact that a computer output with a 1080P signal does work would suggest a settings related issue with the camera. I did recently speak to another customer who mentioned having issues with their HDMI output on their gf50 camera. They mentioned needing to change their default FPS setting to 59.97 or 30 FPS in order for the camera to output a signal. Perhaps this might help or resolve the issue?

Unfortunately we do not have a gf50 camera to test with so we are limited on the camera support we can provide in this instance.

Mathieu, I figured it out!!!

Yes, it was a FPS setting but the real configuration change was the “recorded” output parameter had to be set to 1080p along with the HDMI “scan” parameter. I inadvertently left the recording parameter set to 4k(2160) from a previous recording. Once they were in sync I could pick 1080p with 60 fps

That’s excellent! I’m thrilled you were able to resolve it!