MacBook Pro 16 inch (2019) - USB to USB-C adapter issues AVIO 4K

My setup is

MacBook Pro 16 inch (2019), that only has USB-C (thunderbolt) ports
AVIO 4K - that comes with a blue wire that has a USB 3.0 connector
Panasonic Lumix G85 camera
I connect the AV.io to an apple brand dongle (USB to USB-C) and plug it into my computer
I connect the HDMI cable to my camera and the AV.io
Using quicktime on the mac for testing purposes

Video signal gets to the computer and records just fine
Audio signal from the camera (via HDMI) gets to the computer just fine at the beginning
But after a few seconds (and the timing is random), the audio signal gets stuck in an infinite look where it rapidly repeats the last sample it sent at the time it gets stuck.

I have tested this setup with an older macbook that has an actual USB port, and I have tested this setup on a Windows 10 (Dell) machine that also has and actual USB port. The issues do not appear on these other machines.

Epiphan support is suggesting that the adapter is either not delivering enough power to the AVIO device, or the adapter is not support the bandwidth required. Regardless of the reason, Apple only sells one dongle that I know about for USB to USB-C connection.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the AVIO when a USB to USB-C adapter is involved?

Thanks
jim

Update: Epiphan support was very helpful. Worked with me on troubleshooting. We concluded that the issue was with QuickTime and not with the hardware. We did some camera recording using other Apps (e.g. VLC and Debut), and the audio problem did not reappear.