How to mute audio on HMDI Output

I’m preparing to live-stream a conference, and the HDMI Output from the Webcaster will be connected to the projector in the auditorium. That HDMI feed also goes into the auditorium’s sound system, which creates a feedback loop.

I’m looking for a way to mute the audio on the HDMI Output, in case I can not access the auditorium’s sound system to mute the HDMI there. I’m thinking that if I switch the audio output to SPDIF in the Sound Devices Manager, this should do it. Does this seem reasonable, or is there some other way to mute the HDMI Out audio?

Matt

I don’t have my WX2 setup with me now, but I am almost certain there is a “Mute Audio” check box in the Preferences menu screen.

I assumed that would also mute the audio on the stream.

Yes it does. Sorry about that.

Would it be practical to use a simple HDMI splitter to take a feed from the camera instead of the Webcaster HDMI output instead?

Thanks for the idea, but we’re not feeding from a camera. We’re feeding the presentations (e.g. PPT) from a PC, along with the audio from the auditorium’s sound system. The PC’s display and the sound system audio are merged into the PC’s HDMI output. That is connected to the Webcaster input, and the Webcaster’s HDMI output feeds the auditorium’s projector. That same HDMI connection that feeds the projector also sends audio to the auditorium’s sound system, thus creating the feedback loop.

Fortunately, I believe I have determined that I can mute the HDMI audio at the sound system. That said, I think having the capability to mute the audio on the HDMI output would be a useful feature on the WX2. As I said before, it may be that switching the audio to SPDIF in the Audio Device Manager accomplishes this. I have not had time to test that theory yet.