Hot spot media transfer problem

Since one of the last two updates my hot spot transfer to Facebook has started having problems. It starts streaming but within 20 seconds I get a media transfer message. It appears that I do not have enough bandwidth but I have used this setup before the firmware updates and it worked fine. I have tried two different phones with the same results. I cut the bandwidth required in half and still have the problem. If you do not have an immediate fix is it possible to reload the firmware from two updates prior to the current firmware?

1 Like

We’re sorry to see you’re running into bandwidth related issues with hotspot streaming. It’s possible it could be availability speeds from the network service providers in that area when you are streaming. When running speed tests on your hotspot device it’s important to run at least 5 to give you a rough idea of what the consistent upload bandwidth might be where you are. The peaks unfortunately do not mean they are sustained speeds for streaming.

While we completely understand your frustration, unfortunately we cannot port older firmware for the X2 due to the major API changes taking effect of Facebook. If we loaded an older firmware to your unit, it is highly unlikely that the Webcaster would work with Facebook at all.

Being a programer I was curious if any of the API changes should require a
higher bandwidth or a change in the way hotspots are programed. If so how
much bandwidth is now required.

Rule of thumb for bandwidth is always to provide yourself with enough overhead for streaming as it will fluctuate slightly.

If you are streaming 2000 kbps, then you will need to ensure you have at a minimum 3MB/S of Dedicated upload speed for the stream.

If you are streaming 4000 kbps then you will need to ensure you have at least 5MB/S of dedicated upload speed to accommodate appropriately.

However, some network service providers have slower or more limited bandwidth depending on area and network coverage. That is not something that is within our control to address unfortunately. There are always alternative options to assist with mobile network streaming such as Mushroom for bonding

https://www.mushroomnetworks.com/

I think it is a firmware issue, as we have been seeing these alerts and our up speed is 18mps. I monitor on iphone when this is happening and I see no buffering.

Are you able to test and confirm the issue by using a different network service provider in a different area?

We have not yet been able to reproduce the issue here using mobile hot spots.

You can also try doing a factory reset from the user interface under settings > Backup and reset > factory default > reset to see if perhaps there is some sort of low level software glitch that could be affecting the behavior of the device.

Thank you for reporting this… I’ll not update my system because it currently works…

I seem to be having the same issue which use to work fine before now.
I have 2 webcaster x2, one has every update installed and the other has not yet done the last update, I use the same internet connection (one at a time though) on both also used the same camera but keep getting media transfer problems with the one that has the all updates installed, need help

Maybe we need to start posting bad reviews on the X2. Apparently they do not want to bother fixing a bug in their inexpensive products. Now if we bought a Pearl???

A media transfer problem would be the Webcaster X2 unable to push the encoded data to the destination server. This could be anything in between; network, firewall, or internet connection. For example it could be wifi reception, so try ethernet. It could be firewall, so test on a DMZ (demilitarized zone). Or it could be internet speeds, so try running a speedtest https://www.google.com/search?q=speedtest

Can you double check to ensure that your bitrate and frame size for both units are identical? The development team mentioned that the firmware update shouldn’t affect the amount of bandwidth utilized for streaming. It’s possible that after an update the encoding settings could have possibly defaulted back to 2000 kbps. If you were previously using, 1000 kbps as an example, then that could be causing the issue and error message.

Are you seeping the "media transfer problem for both Facebook and Youtube, or only on one of the platforms?

I already checked to ensure that both devices had identical settings which includes frame size, so the encoding settings for both devices was set to 1000 kbps. I am seeing media transfer problem for both YouTube and Facebook

Can you provide the serial number and mac address of the problematic unit and ensure the unit is left powered on and connected to the internet? Please attempt to start streams?

Can you also provide us with the method of network communication: Wifi, LAN or Hotspot (using Wifi?)

Can you also please provide the speed test results for Download/upload speed?

Here is the details from the problematic unit:
S/N WCX217061209
MAC: 98-00-00-01-12-A0

Method of network communication: Hotspot
Ping: 24ms
Download Speed: 25.3 Mbps
Upload: 11.1 Mbps

I have started the internet stream, it running now on Facebook

Thank you for the information.

Our developers took a look at the logs and are noticing fluctuating connection speeds where you are temporarily receiving massive drops in network speed connections which are causing the “media Transfer problem.”
The development team, after reviewing the logs are recommending to test a LAN or secured WIFI connection. the Hot spot connection that you are using appears to not have a consistent available upload bandwidth causing the unit to cycle in and out of media transfer problems. According to the logs, when the last media transfer error appeared, the Webcaster X2 logged a 0.92 Mbps upload speed (920 kbps) and had an average sustained upload speed (according to the API logs) of 1102 kbps when not in the state of “media transfer problem.”.

Thank you, I’m not sure why this is only the case with one device

The logs would lead us to believe that it is an inconsistent network speed with your hotspot network rather than device-specific unfortunately.

I would recommend testing on a LAN or Secured WIFI connection to see if the issue persists. We are more than happy to assist in the troubleshooting process in order to try and identify the cause of the issue, however at this time we have not been able to reproduce the issue on WIFI, LAN or using mobile devices as hot spots.

For more extended and back-and-forth testing, I would however recommending continuing extended troubleshooting through our email ticket system by sending us an email at info@epiphan.com

Well I finally found out the root of my problem. I WAS WRONG, IT WAS NOT THE FIRMWARE UPDATE. After three months of troubleshooting I discovered that at the same time the update was published Xfinity changed their data policy. If you had/have an unlimited plan, which I did, they started sending ALL HOT SPOT DATA TO 2G FROM BIT 1. Before it was 4GLTE until you used up your data plan. This did not affect data on you phone, just your hot spot. Going back to pay as you go solves the problem. I was notified but it was one of those policy update no one reads. In defense of Xfinity they gave me a credit for the months I had pay for unlimited data that I had not used.

Good day I am experiencing a similiar issue after update it says media tranfer problem.However it is not consistent and the live stream is ok however the facebook link afterwards don’t work.It just keeps spinning and then face eventually loses the video.
I attempted with wifi on LTE and a Lan connection.

I’m not sure what you mean by the Facebook link? Are you referring to the pairing code? the stream on Facebook, or the link to the stream in the Web UI?