Copying sound from a recording

I’m quite new to the Pearl-2 and I have a request to separate sound from a recording into a sound file format, either after the recording or simultaniously with the recording. Is this possible, and how is it done?

Hello Meteor,
Thank you for reaching out on our forums, welcome! I would be happy to assist with your Pearl-2 questions. When recording on a Pearl-2, or any Pearl, there is no option to record only an audio file. The Pearl will always create a video file based on the the settings in the Encoding section of the channel, as well as the Recording section of the channel. There are a couple of options on Pearl for creating a video file that contains only audio though.

First, if you were to create a second channel, you could go into the layout editor and select the desired audio, and make sure no video source is added. This will make the Pearl record the blank video with the audio, in whatever format you choose in the Recording section of the channel, MP4, MOV, etc.

Another option, if you’d rather not create a second channel for audio only is to create a separate Recorder. This section is actually for our Multi-track Recorders, which enable you to record multiple channels into a single multi-track recording. They also have the ability to extract the audio from the main recording. It will still output it as an MP4, but there video will simply be blank. You would click the little four square icon next to a recording and deselect everything but the audio you want to separate.

Other than that, you would need to look into third-party editing software to extract audio from a video file after the Pearl has finished recording and you’ve downloaded the file to your computer. I think Audacity, a free and open source audio editing tool, might be able to do this.

I hope this information is helpful! Please let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!