Compatibility of avio 4K with MacBook

My MacBook Pro i9 running 10.15.7 detects the avio 4K connected to a canon xa40 but the screen remains black. This seems to be the case no matter what program is attempting to grab the video stream. Any thoughts?

We have seen this issue appear with AV.io 4K units running an older firmware. I would recommend starting with updating your device to the most recent 4.0.0 firmware found on the device support page here
https://www.epiphan.com/support/avio-4k-software-documentation/?utm_source=Support&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=avio-4k

You will also need to download the configuration tool from the support page in order to perform the update.
Once they have been downloaded, open the configuration tool, ensure no video source is connected to the video input of the AV.io (only the USB to the computer).
Click on AV.io in the configuration tool to highlight the device,
Click on the folder Icon to open the browser, select the downloaded firmware,
apply the firmware and wait for the update to complete.

Disconnect and reconnect the USB for the AV.io SDI for the new firmware to take effect. You can now close the config tool and reconnect your video source to the AV.io and use the third-party software of choice.

This should hopefully resolve the issue. If the issue does persist, please let us know

I followed your instructions - which I greatly appreciate - but the problem still seems to persist. Tested it on several 3rd party platforms to make sure. Is there something else I am missing?

It could have something to do with the application of choice,
the software, the video source, something in the signal chain, the HDMI cable could be faulty, or something environmental - perhaps power via USB from the computer. I’d recommend sending us an email to info@epiphan.com with a description of your issue so that we can explore it in greater detail