Captured image black with Canon 5D and vga2ethernet

I’m trying to capture the output of Canon 5D Mark 3 via HDMI, HDMI-DVI adapter and an vga2ethernet device. The capture window stays black and the detected resolution is too low.
Any pointers how to get the preview image from the DLSR?

Also: this forum lacks a legacy devices category.

Hello,

Unfortunately the older vga2ethernet device isn’t fully compatible with HDMI. In particular in this case there is almost certainly an HDMI audio feed present (even if it is silent) which makes the vga2ethernet unable to capture this. I would recommend a newer product that can capture from HDMI including audio capture, like our AV.io HD which would capture HDMI into your computer over USB 3, and also at a lower latency and a higher framerate and superior image quality compared to the vga2ethernet. You can see more information on the AV.io HD here: https://www.epiphan.com/products/avio-hd/

That’s sad, we haven’t put this device into much use in its lifespan, I was hoping it could find a good use in this setup. The institution I work for has not given me a budget to acquire new hardware and we are looking to improvise a bit dealing with the current situation where we suddenly have to teach remotely.