Can't get rid of Black Bars

Hello together,
I have 2 Avio 4k (one is called 4K (=A) whereas the other one is 4K HD (=B). Different generations, i believe? See image in the comments) and I am using python to grab images in native resolution. Both grabbers are being controlled simultaneously with the same settings!
When taking images with aspect preservation turned on, I get from grabber A an image with borders whereas grabber B one does not show any borders, even though also this grabber is configured completely identical. When I uncheck “presereve aspect ratio” for grabber A, the image is stretched vertically and thus only on the left and right side of the image borders appear. All of these effects can be seen in the following screenshot:

The difference in color and perspective can be neglected. These are effects of my setup and can be explained.

What can I do now to get rid of the borders in grabber A such that I do get an Image like in grabber B?

Since I was not able to upload two images, see here:
avio4k

Hello,
I’m sorry you’re running into this issue with your AVio cards! From your second screenshot it looks like the AVio 4k HD Video card is on an older firmware version. What I would recommend is updating it to the most recent, 4.0.0, this will hopefully resolve the issue you’re seeing and the two should begin acting the same.

You can find the firmware file on the support page here, https://www.epiphan.com/support/avio-4k-software-documentation/ just click on the Software section on the right hand side.

You would install the firmware file using the Configuration Tool you displayed in the screenshot. Please let us know if you continue to see the issue, or have any trouble updating the firmware, thanks!

Hello!
Thanks for your answer.

Just to make this clear: It is not the AVio 4k HD Video card that is having these issues and thus I wont update the card. It is the AVio 4k Video card (without the “HD”) which is having these issues.

Oh okay, I apologize, I misunderstood! Could you tell me a bit more about the video source, what resolution are you trying to capture? Is it 3840x2160 as shown in the config tool? Also, what is the resolution of the device you are viewing the captures on?

The black borders are a symptom of a mismatch between the aspect ratios of the source and the capture device. If a source is 4:3 and the viewing ratio is 16:10 you would see black bars if you preserve the aspect ratio, without preservation the image would simply be stretched to fit the view’s aspect ratio.

Another question I have, if you disconnect one of the grabbers completely, do you still see this same behavior?

Hello again!

Could you tell me a bit more about the video source, what resolution are you trying to capture? Is it 3840x2160 as shown in the config tool?

Yes, I am trying to capture 3840x2160.

The black borders are a symptom of a mismatch between the aspect ratios of the source and the capture device. If a source is 4:3 and the viewing ratio is 16:10 you would see black bars if you preserve the aspect ratio, without preservation the image would simply be stretched to fit the view’s aspect ratio.

Yeah, I fully understand where those borders come from. What I dont understand is why that only occurs for one of the grabbers, as I am using both grabbers simultaneously using the same settings? As I found out, the affected grabber is actually older than the unaffected one.

Another question I have, if you disconnect one of the grabbers completely, do you still see this same behavior?

Actually I haven’t tried this yet and for the next few days I am unfortunately not able to do that. As soon as I have the possibility to test this, I will try it and report it to you. Thanks in advance for helping me!