Canon HF R400 + Av.IO HD

Im using OBS and the canon mentioned above. I have been recording using OBS until recently, the web cam input went black. I’ve removed other screen recording programs, restarted computer, removed readded OBS and still get black web cam. I have the Canon plugged into the av.io, output thru usb 3.0 with green light on IO. Open up OBS and add it as a video capture but only see a black screen. I’ve changed screen settings, out put settings on OBS, the video format on the camera, and still black… Any other ideas?

Hello,

Sorry to hear about this issue! There are a couple of things we can try here, mainly we need to try and isolate the source of the issue.

The first step is to confirm that the camera is indeed sending a signal, can you confirm that when connected to an HDMI display, such as a TV, that you are seeing an active signal from the camera?

If signal from the camera is confirmed then the next thing to check would be to see if the AV.io is capable of receiving any signal at all (to rule out an incompatibility issue with the camera specifically), to that end you can try connecting any other HDMI sources to the AV.io to see if it produces a signal? Usually the best type of signal to test with is from a laptop/computer.

The final thing to check is the computer itself, try the AV.io with a different computer to see if it produces a different result. For example, you mentioned seeing a green LED on the AV.io. This would actually indicate a USB 2.0 connection, not USB 3.0 (which would be a blue LED). While this wouldn’t stop the video signal from actually coming through it might speak to some USB issues on that computer itself potentially, or that particular USB port.

Just as one last thing to note, it might also be good to check with other capture programs just in case there’s an issue with OBS specifically, such as VLC, Windows Camera, or Quicktime etc.