Broadcasting from the field

I have a need to broadcast from the field, meaning, in places where there is no wifi. Therefore, I need to have a phone hotspot, usually with 4G, but not always LTE.

Anyway, when I broadcast, I will be providing HDMI input to my x2.

What I would like to know is what would you recommend is the best mix of equipment that I could put into a small package that could be carried in a backpack size? In other words, what do I need to have with me at all times to be sure I have a good broadcast?

For a 4G/LTE connection I would recommend looking for a mobile hotspot that supports the following:

• LTE+ (also called LTE advanced)
  • External Antenna
  • Ethernet connectivity

This would be the most reliable way to allow for using mobile connectivity and far superior to the connection from a cell phone. This is the best solution short of using a bonding device of some kind.

Why do you say this would be better than a cell phone? My phone supports 4G LTE.

Sorry, I thought that was the question you were asking! But a hotspot can in some cases be better than a cell phone, especially if the hotspot has an external antenna for better reception and ethernet connectivity is better for connecting the Webcaster than wifi.

You’re right about the dedicated boxes being better. I had a chance to use one in a place where my phone wouldn’t connect, but the dedicated one did.

My main challenge is to find wifi connections in places where you wouldn’t normally find one - like the backwoods.