Analog Audio Input Issue

I own two Pearl-2’s and they are both having the same audio issue. Analog Audio Inputs A&B randomly stop receiving audio signal. The only way to start receiving signal again is to reboot the Pearl-2. Fortunately this hasn’t happened during a live stream yet. Anyone else having this issue?

For technical support, please email info@epiphan.com with a full description of the issue, sample images/screenshots - if applicable, information on the audio source(s), firmware version, and permanent logs which can be found on the maintenance page of the web UI - if enabled.

I have the same problem with our two Pearl 2. Unfortunately, it is not reproducible and happens randomly.

I have the same issue.

I have to reboot to resolve it.

I’ve looked into the permanent logs which revealed some information about the issue; in short, the problem is closely related to the faulty error handling of analog inputs.

The exact occurrence of the error is usually marked with an “ALSA buffer xrun” message:

Apr 22 14:41:15 PLTTSK503381 user.warn ffinputD2P493171.analog-a[9261]: [24D2] [alsa @ 0x56cfc0] ALSA buffer xrun.

After this, the devices tries to read the device, but it gets an error:

Apr 22 14:41:15 PLTTSK503381 user.err ffinputD2P493171.analog-a[9261]: [24D2] [alsa @ 0x56cfc0] ALSA read error: File descriptor in bad state

In response, Pearl tries to restart the analog input, but if it fails, closes the input, then starts the process all over again, resulting in an endless loop:

Apr 22 14:41:15 PLTTSK503381 user.warn ffinputD2P493171.analog-a[9261]: [24D2] hw:0,6 I/O error -5 Input/output error, restart device
Apr 22 14:41:15 PLTTSK503381 user.notice ffinputD2P493171.analog-a[9261]: [242D] Capture device alsa:hw:0,6 successfully closed
Apr 22 14:41:15 PLTTSK503381 user.notice ffinputD2P493171.hdmi-b[6138]: [3F52] FrmGrab 'local:D2P493171.hdmi-b', Video mode 1920x1080@60400p
Apr 22 14:41:15 PLTTSK503381 user.notice ffinputD2P493171.analog-a[9261]: [242D] Capture device alsa:hw:0,6 successfully opened
Apr 22 14:41:15 PLTTSK503381 user.warn ffinputD2P493171.analog-a[9261]: [3FB4] hw:0,6 I/O error -5 Input/output error, restart device
Apr 22 14:41:15 PLTTSK503381 user.notice ffinputD2P493171.analog-a[9261]: [242D] Capture device alsa:hw:0,6 successfully closed
Apr 22 14:41:16 PLTTSK503381 user.notice ffinputD2P493171.analog-a[9261]: [242D] Capture device alsa:hw:0,6 successfully opened
Apr 22 14:41:16 PLTTSK503381 user.warn ffinputD2P493171.analog-a[9261]: [3FF2] hw:0,6 I/O error -5 Input/output error, restart device
Apr 22 14:41:16 PLTTSK503381 user.notice ffinputD2P493171.analog-a[9261]: [242D] Capture device alsa:hw:0,6 successfully closed

As you can see, these warnings are spammed 3-4 times per second, until the device gets the shutdown signal:

Apr 22 12:49:41 PLTTSK503381 daemon.info init: starting pid 4633, tty '/dev/null': '/bin/run-parts /etc/rc.shutdown.d'
Apr 22 14:49:41 PLTTSK503381 user.info pipeline5[5732]: [1664] Pipeline stopping
Apr 22 14:49:41 PLTTSK503381 user.info pipeline4[5309]: [14BD] Pipeline stopping

As others already stated in this thread, after a successful boot, the issue is gone. The most concerning thing about this error that it happens completely randomly, without any signs, and mostly in live conditions, which resulted in some extremely embarrassing situations.

These logs were taken from a Pearl-2 model, with firmware version 4.14.1e. (I’m sure the issue is present in several earlier versions too.)

I hope this info will be useful for others. Cheers.

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for providing us with your information and I’m so sorry this is occurring - There is an active investigation into why some Pearl-2 units using the Analog inputs suffer from this. Once we have more information we will provide an update. Thank you for your patience in the interim.

@Geldrin I will be adding your logs to the bug investigation.

Hey there,

Just had the exact same issue as stated by @Geldrin running Pearl 2 on 4.14.2f.
I could also see the same entries in the device-log.

Is there any news regarding this issue? @Ryan_H?

I would appreciate any help…

Hello Cornelius.heggli,

I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this issue. Due to the intermittent behaviour of this issue, we have haven’t had any luck replicating this on our end in our labs, neither in older or newer firmware versions. However, like yourself and others in this forum post, the issue does occur. This may indicate that the issue could be specific to a particular type of configuration or use case.

As you have recently experienced this, would you be able to send us the configuration preset of your current Pearl-2 setup? You can do this by navigating to maintenance, create configuration preset, then download. Once you have downloaded the configuration preset, please send this to info@epiphan.com

Thank you for your patience, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Just had the same issue on my P2. Sent logs and preset to support. Desperately need a solution.

I submitted my issue to Epiphan support and they are working on the issue. They suggested used the B audio inputs. They do not appear to be affected.

Hello Jeff,

Indeed, we have a developer dedicated to resolving this issue, but we are still not able to replicate this in our lab environments.

in your support ticket opened with Zack Bell, he did offer some extra testing we could perform together in an effort to gather debug logs. If you’d be interested in doing so, and your operating environment allows some time for testing, please let Zack know and he would be happy to provide you the necessary instructions.

Thank you everyone for your patience thus far!

Hi Ryan
I’d be happy to assist with testing to help with resolve this issue. What’s the best way for me to contact Zack?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Simply respond to the email chain you had with Zack (ticket ref# 00008408). Zack will be able to provide you instructions there. if you no longer have access to this email chain, please let me know!

Thank you!

Hi, we have 14 Pearls and the issue is only reoccurring on two specifically (Pearls #1 and #5)

Analog Audio Inputs stop receiving audio randomly and is not reproducible. The only way to start receiving signal again is to reboot.

Latest Firmware updates have not fixed the issue.

We have burnt 2 events now where the Recordings and Stream have lost audio resulting in removing these two Pearl 2’s from service.

Thanks for any assistance!

As mentioned, we have not been able to replicate the issue in any of our labs, or by using configuration presets from clients who have experienced this in the field. @mlee I do see that you submitted a support ticket that we responded to. Had you received this response?

For anyone who is indeed running into the same issue, please check the firmware version that is installed on the Pearl-2. If 4.17.2 is installed, please download permanent and temporary logs and send these to info@epiphan.com

Instructions for downloading permanent logs
Navigate to Pearl WebUI -> Maintenance -> download permanents logs

Instructions for downloading temporary logs
If the issue occurs, before reboot enter the following browser based command into your browser URL field

Pearl_IP/admin/allinfo.cgi
For example:
192.168.1.10/admin/allinfo.cgi

Here is a direct download for 4.17.2
https://updates.epiphan.com/downloads/firmware/TOPAZ_Pearl2/frm-4-17-2-Pearl2-220823_5a2c558-TOPAZ.bfrm

To upgrade your firmware:
-Navigate down the left side pane to “Firmware Upgrade”
-Click “Choose File”
-Choose the .bfrm firmware file just downloaded
-Click Apply

Do not turn off the Pearl while upgrading.

We are having this random issue on a couple of our units in our fleet. We have only experienced this on Analog in put A, I will start using Analog input B to see if the issue is present there as well. The units are rock solid for days, and then randomly stops encoding audio to streams, records, and all internal meters. Running most up to date firmware 4.18.0. Power cycle always fixes the issue.

Hello everyone,

After much experimentation and testing, we are now able to replicate the analog audio issue that has been reported.

From our testing, a drop in analog audio capture is only sometimes replicable in an environment where a grounding issue or questionable power (voltage spikes, ESD discharges, etc) exists. These kinds of issues can affect any device in different ways from audio artifacts, audio bleed, or unexpected system behavior. What we have found is that if environmental issues exist, other than resolving the environmental issue itself, which can be troublesome and time consuming, adding a ground isolator to the Analog audio inputs can help, and/or moving the power source for the Pearl-2 to another power circuit.

While these environmental issues are out of our control, we also understand the implications of losing audio mid event. For this reason, while this is not a resolution for the root cause, being the environment itself, we have implemented a behavior to help Pearl-2 recover, restarting the audio input in under a second, reducing overall loss of content.

This new behavior is expected to be released in the upcoming 4.19.0 firmware, and we are evaluating a release timeline at the moment. Once released, if during your productions you notice a sudden drop of audio that lasts about 1 second, this would be indicative of an environmental issue, for which a ground isolator or optional power circuit could help.

We are currently testing a few analog isolators to recommend for clients that encounter the issue, and a clear environmental root analysis may not be possible.

I’ve experienced the same issue with the two Pearl Minis I use. Is there a ground isolator you would recommend?

Hello ASCLW,

We have tested the following devices which do seem to help in the event of ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) and environmental issues:

https://artproaudio.com/product/dti-dual-transformer-isolator/

The ART Pro audio device is a true isolation transformer. Please note, these are not official recommendations, simply suggestions that may help in the event of environmental electrical issues that may affect the unit. Please use at your own risk.

I hope this helps!